TEXT: COLOSSIANS 2: 6-10
READING: PHILIPPIANS 2: 1-18
SUBJ: The Christian walk as a continuation of receiving Christ
AIM: That we might truly walk under the delightful Lordship of Christ
1. There is today a perceptual problem as to the Lordship of Christ
2. Man's perception is that of a partnership with God. The world is determined to exploit the determination of true believers to serve God.
3. The Christian walk is not a matter of rules; rather, it is a delightful following of Christ Jesus the Lord.
THESIS: It is in walking in Christ that we both learn of our loving Lord, and we are constantly warned of those who would take our Joy.
I. As we have received
1. Jesus as Prophet, Priest, and King.
2. And compare: John 1:12-13 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
3. The truth once delivered: Jude 1:3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
4. So walk: Isaiah 2:5 O house of Jacob, come ye, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.
5. Compare Ephesians 5:1-2 1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. AND S. A. Philippians 1:27 Only let your conversation be as it becometh the gospel of Christ: that whether I come and see you, or else be absent, I may hear of your affairs, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;
II. Rooted and Built up
1. Rooted with a sense of permanence - experienced assurance
2. Built up - The continuing growth that proceeds from such "rooting": Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified. Consider the appointments of grace and the end result of "that He might be glorified."
3. Established in the faith and compare: Ephesians 2:21-22 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: 22 In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
4. See especially: Ephesians 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
5. A fruitful (abounding) situation characterized with thanksgiving.
III. Seeing the Sufficiency of Christ
1. Beware - Considering those who would either detract from the Gospel or attempt to supplement it.
2. Of Philosophy and vain philosophy
1) Traditions of men
2) Rudiments of the world
3) Not after Christ
3. The fullness of Christ and we in Him
1) In the man Christ Jesus - the fullness of the Godhead bodily
2) That we might know that same sufficiency characterizing our lives.
4. We do indeed "follow after Christ."