TEXT: 2 Corinthians 11.3 (Read vv. 1-5)
READING: Psalm 112 and 113
SUBJ: The profound simplicity of life in Christ and the Gospel presentation to us and in us.
AIM: That we might avoid the many man-made complexities that tend to lead us away.
INTR: The expression of Paul here is of jealousy and fear and properly so in that there were enemies about that would spy out and steal their liberty.
1. He had a strong identity with the Corinthians that continued in spite of their continued attacks on him.
2. He recognized the dangers of adding to or deviating from the pure Gospel.
3. So, he would reinforce to them the very nature of the truth as it is in Christ.
THESIS: Salvation is nothing less than being in Christ and being presented in Him before God.
I. A simple message of simple truth
1. The initial conclusion is that all men are alike discovered as sinners and unfit for cohabitation with God.
2. The simple message of the Gospel is so presented as “Behold the Lamb of God…”
1) God’s provision in order to the accomplishment of
2) God’s purpose of redeeming a people for Himself.
3. The simple fact is that “Ye must be born again” by the Spirit of God – raised to walk in the newness of life – quickened from death in trespasses and sins.
4. “God commandeth all men everywhere to repent…”
5. The simple delivery of the message is an uncomplicated mandate –“Repent ye and believe the Gospel.”
6. One is heard to ask, “What if I am not born again?” to which we answer do it anyway. There is no method for men in regeneration!
II. A simple faith
1. The walk of the true believer is by faith in Christ alone. We witness the question of the Philippian Jailer and the answer given to him – literally he was to “be believing.”
2. There is an innate ability found in believers wherein they experience life in Christ and we quote again the salient points of Galatians 2:20.
3. Thus, faith and obedience walk hand-in-hand as
1) Joyfully entered as a way of life and servitude
2) Believingly followed – no servile fear here
4. Thus, there is the need in believers to acknowledge that they are not their own and that they are bought with a price and so they follow the direction of the Lord to publicly testify to the death burial and resurrection of Christ and their identity in it.
5. But the danger is found when men try to contribute.
1) Their way is not simple but puts demands on folks that they cannot satisfy.
2) Questions are placed as to the genuineness of method or
3) The complication of what God does and does not accept when in fact
4) Doubt must ever remain since the ultimate requirement is in fickle men.
5) He cannot deny Himself.
III. A simple walk
1. God’s method is described thusly: Hebrews 10:16-17 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; 17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
2. The principle of life is simple: Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
1) The paraclete – or one who comes alongside to
2) Instruct and guide and bear witness to the Word of God.
3. Paul’s simple philosophy: 1 Corinthians 2:2 For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.
4. Thus, along with the jailer and others given as witness we walk in the way with out eyes single and fixed upon Christ alone. And that with
1) The simple Gospel message that He is our redeemer God
2) That He is Lord
3) That salvation is founded in the person and grace of Christ
4) And that salvation is in Him alone in its initiation, continuation and consummation…