The post-resurrection ministry of our Lord with an especial emphasis on
the manner and message of the continuation of the work of salvation from
that day to this.
AIM: That we,
having been enabled to understand the scriptures, might give faithful
attendance to the study of the Word and dutiful attendance to declaring
repentance and remission to all.
considered the triumphal entry into Jerusalem, the crucifixion and
resurrection of our Lord and having begun to deal with His ministry
among them following the resurrection, we would consider that which
remains of the work of the Gospel among us.
1. The forty days
following the resurrection are important as we consider our relationship
to the Gospel even now.
2. We would first understand that it was
critical that the fact of the resurrection be established.
3. But we
would also understand the substance of what was to be preached and how
it was to be accomplished.
The very nature of the Gospel communicates the strong necessity
that it be told to others with and that with urgency. We are witnesses
to Him in our own salvation and that of others.
opened (vv. 44-45)
1. There is debate as to the timing of this
1) As we read here it might appear that this was related to
them on resurrection Sunday.
2) Some see it as happening at another
3) One saw it as a summary of what was related to
them during this ministry.
4) Luke has placed it between His
revelation to them bodily and His ascension.
2. He referenced what He
had told them while He was with them:
1) It has all occurred as He
had said and,
2) He was telling them that He will not resume the
3. He had already opened the understanding of
the two on the road to Emmaus. It is important that we note that the He
addresses the whole of the Old Testament:
1) The fulfillment of
Moses, the Prophets, and the Psalms so that,
2) We may know that the
Bible is one book, and that Christ is the center of it all.
He opened their understanding with specific reference to the Scriptures:
1) We note that He directed them to the scriptures alone - Sola
2) While unmentioned, all issues are to be brought to the
5. They were given the ability to understand here; the
power would follow.
II. Necessity pressed (vv. 46-47)
pressed the necessity of the authority of the Scriptures - Thus it is
1) To be impressed on them and on us.
2) He was Himself
submitted to that authority.
2. Paul spoke of necessity being laid
upon Him. It was more so with Christ:
1) Wherefore in all things it
behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a
merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make
reconciliation for the sins of the people. (Hebrews 2:17)
2) All that
He did was ordained of God, there was no other to do it, and the love
for His people drove Him to the cross and the victorious resurrection.
3) This He had finished.
3. The story does not end there; it
continued then, and it continues now.
1) The Gospel is summarized in
Repentance and Remission.
2) Both are freely declared and promised
and find their authority in the Word.
3) Both are matters of
necessity satisfied in the application of the grace of God in Christ.
4. All is to be in the Name of Christ Jesus our Lord - with due
reference to all He has done and as it is set forth in the Word.
To be preached - to be heralded to all nations beginning where they were
but spreading to the whole world.
2) This my task as a preacher, ours
as a church, and yours as an individual.
III. The application
1. They had, no doubt, wondered at what they were to do -
many are still wondering.
2. They were to be witnesses:
were eyewitnesses to much but no more than we through faith.
Witnesses tell what they have seen and know to be true.
3) They may
also point to the sources of their information - we understand the
4) They know what has happened to themselves - consider
the answer of the man born blind or the witness of Lazarus.
they were to wait for the full manifestation of the Holy Spirit in
power, they would be endued (provided) with power (ability) to carry out
what they were to do.
4. When Pentecost was fully come, they knew,
and such ability remains among the Lord's people t this day.
know the Scriptures, we know Him, and we know from what we are
delivered. Are we witnesses?