The assurance that nothing will prevail against the Love of God and the
relationship that He has with His own.
AIM: That we
might be reminded of the Love of God in Christ and be moved to greater
Love to God.
The final level of opposition to the salvation of the Lord's people and
their justification is discussed and preciously emphasized.
issue of justification is often challenged but cannot succeed in that it
is God that justifies.
2. But the enemies of grace and the Gospel
never stop and so the challenge takes a different tack.
3. The method
is to equate earthly peace, prosperity and security with the Love of God
or the lack thereof.
The love of God is not only in Christ but is also displayed through
Christ and the greatest display of love at the cross.
I. The fact
is that forces conspire to separate from the Love of God (vv. 35-36)
1. Consider the debate over love to God or love from God. Compare the
thoughts of love in us in 1 Corinthians 13. But here it appears to be
the love of God to us.
2. The things that would:
Pressure or affliction from without
2) Distress: "narrowness of
place." Anxiety in not knowing where to turn.
Matthew 5:11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute
you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Such was the lot of the early Christians.
4) Famine: which often
occurred when driven from homes
5) Peril: ever present danger of any
6) Sword: lives exposed to death in consequence of a stand for
3. The enemies of the Gospel think of believers as "slaughter
II. More than conquerors (v. 37)
1. We are conquerors
in that God has defeated the enemy.
2. But, more than, in that
believers are enabled to glory in affliction and thereby experience,
faith and joy being increased and we are the more enabled to glory in
3. Through the strength in Christ alone: Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
The Apostolic Persuasion (vv. 38-39)
1. Paul had lived through this
and so the list goes on. It seems to pick up where the other left off.
1) Death: goes without saying
2) Life: the things in this life that
would conspire to distract
3) Angels: evil angels - 1 John 4:4 Ye are
of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he
that is in you, than he that is in the world.
4) Principalities: We
consider the past practice of civil magistrates and consider that the
same could be true in our times.
5) Powers: Could be the combination
of the last two. Or it could be false teachers able to work miracles.
6) Present evils of all kinds
7) And things yet unseen and unfaced
8) Neither height - surrounded by wealth or Depths -- the lowest
2. Compare the Love of God in verse 39 with that of
Christ in verse 35. It is the same
3. After all it is in Christ Jesus
and that cannot change.
4. The whole of Romans 8 it a precious
testimony to the assurance God would give us of His prevailing Love. No
condemnation and no separation.