SUBJ: The justice and judgment of
God seen as essential to God’s identity and the demands thereof met in
Christ and that as the reason that the Gospel sound is joyful indeed.
AIM: That we might both hear and
experience the Joyful Sound.
INTR: Psalm 89, is a mine from
which precious treasure and experience may be brought to the heart of
1. Consider select portions that speak to us of
reason to rejoice in Him: V. 1 and vv. 5-7
2. But the issue of God’s
justice and judgment are never laid aside in the interest of mere
celebration. Rather, they become the basis for our joy as we see them
honored by Christ and met for us in Christ.
3. To behold the justice
and judgment of God apart from mercy and grace is a most terrifying
THESIS: Without a
consideration of Justice and Judgment the Gospel would not sound joyful.
The joyful announcement is that God has accepted the saving work of
Jesus Christ after having received justice and judgment for all who
believe on Him.
I. A Precious Paradox – Justice and Judgment
found dwelling with mercy! (v. 14)
1. The word “habitation” speaks to
us of establishment, permanence and the character of His Government
(Throne). Note the description given in vv. 8-13!
2. The integrity of
God demands justice
3. The Holiness of God demands judgment
is essential that we see ourselves as subject to both that we may know
that we must have mercy.
5. Only in God’s realm can justice cohabit
with mercy. Men lay aside justice to show mercy. God honors it alongside
mercy, in Christ.
6. Compare: Psalms 85:10 Mercy and truth are met
together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other. AND Psalms
25:10 All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep
his covenant and his testimonies. – We see mercy and truth in both.
(Analyze the line, “you can’t handle the truth,” with regard to what
truth exposes in us.)
7. See especially Matthew 9:13 But go ye and
learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am
not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
The Joyful Sound (v. 15)
1. It is the sound of praise to our redeemer
God (on hearing others that are happy).
2. It is the reaction to the
report that God is glorified and salvation is accomplished and claimed
in Christ our Lord.
1) There is Love, Mercy, and Grace as attributed
to God alone.
2) There is peace, pardon and forgiveness bought by the
blood of Christ and delivered and made effective by the Holy Spirit.
3) Justification (justice satisfied with regard to us) is fully declared
in Him as our substitute, and it is He that received the judgment due
3. It is the shout then of victory that is heard as in a
victorious battle cry. See 2 Corinthians 2:15-16 For we are unto God a
sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16 To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other
the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
4. It is the trumpet that sounded jubilee when all debts were discharged
and restoration was made.
5. It is the proclamation of liberty for
the captives: Isaiah 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because
the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath
sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the
captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound…
short, it is the “glorious Gospel of Christ.”
manifestation of this blessing (vv. 15-18)
1. They know the sound –
“My sheep hear my voice…”
2. They walk in the light of His
countenance – See Numbers 6:24-27 24 The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
25 The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: 26
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace. 27 And
they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless
them. AND 1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,
we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his
Son cleanseth us from all sin.
3. They rejoice in His name (compare
this to contrived religious fervor).
4. They are exalted in
righteousness. It is before God – in Christ; and before man who cannot
deny its effect.
5. They know the Lord as their strength –
Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth
6. They experience the favor (grace) of God which exalts their
7. They have as their defense none other that the
Holy One of Israel and our King of Kings.