unashamed relationship to the Gospel wherein it is uniquely discovered
to be the power of God unto salvation made effectual to believers of all
AIM: That we
should know and practice a similar boldness in the Gospel and the power
of our Blessed Lord and so be unafraid and unashamed in the face of all
Apostle had introduced the epistle in a most gracious manner and had
declared a burden for those as Rome and would now transition to the core
issue of his letter.
1. He declared his readiness to preach the
Gospel to them as a debtor to them as to all in the matter of serving
the will of God and their need.
2. In so doing it would be essential
that proper weight be given to the issues at hand so that no mistake
would be made as to the exclusive message he preached – the Gospel of
3. We are to be warned by the words of Paul here and
elsewhere that there is not place of compromise in that he was sent with
the message that God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself
and there can be no deviation from that course – false gospels were
already about – see Galatians 1.
THESIS: The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation – the means
whereby hopelessly lost folk are brought to life in Christ Jesus in
repentance and faith. The Gospel is God’s truth about three historical
facts – the death, the burial, and the resurrection of Christ. Anything
else is unacceptable.
I. Not ashamed
1. There is no doubt that
the Gospel of our Lord is opposed from every corner of the universe.
1) This opposition is found in powerful government entities
from people in the lowest stations on earth
3) Peter is an example of
cowing to both in his denial of our Lord.
2. It might be understood
if there were reason to be unsure about the message or uncertain of the
One who underwrites it.
3. We listen to much from those in the world
who think themselves to be in power and we are reminded of the likes of
Goliath or of Sennacherib in their boasts against the Living God and
both died in shame!
4. There is no cause to back down from any and
indeed the boldness of Paul was forthcoming in the presence of the Jews,
the Roman officials and King Agrippa and ultimately in the courts of
5. It is certain that we are to act graciously toward others –
It is not about us. It is just as certain that we are to boldly assert
the Gospel and to confront those who would pervert it – many do so in
ignorance having been taught in error.
6. Neither is there salvation
in any other.
II. The power of God
1. Many meanings given to
one English word.
1) One means the power to rule
2) Another means
authority or permission – Christ claimed divine authority in And Jesus
came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven
and in earth. Matthew 28:18.
3) Here the word means force, literally
miraculous power, ability to work and so it is that whereby God works
the miracle of salvation.
2. Haldane stated that it (the Gospel) was
that great mystery hid in God from the beginning and further
it is the efficacious means whereby God saves men and bestows on them
2) It is that Word of truth whereby we are begotten by
the will of God
3) It is that sword which divides asunder soul and
4) It is not our power but that of God that raised up
Christ to sit at His own right hand!
3. It is the good news in the
hand of God that “Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners...”
1) That He died (dying he dealt with our sins) as the Lamb of God to
take away the sins of His people in all the world
2) That He was
buried even as we must be “taken from the place of judgment” and then
3) That He was raised again for our justification.
III. To every
one that believes
1. How many things are taken by human versions of
faith while the truth of the Gospel which is into eternal life is
treated with contempt.
1) We cite for authority the unproven claims
of other, the internet or whatever and often repeat is without
2) But men will not receive the fact of their
sinfulness, the judgment of God, that these are real and that Christ
died to save sinners such as they are.
2. It is certain that apart
from life the message falls on dead and deaf ears – nevertheless we bid
them to believe the message that He is come that they life and that more
3. The simple message is “believe on the Lord Jesus
Christ and those shalt be saved:
1) From the penalty of sin - past
2) From the power of sin -- present
3) From the presence of sin –
4) All three historical facts must be believed and
three tenses must be in force
4. This is saving faith found in all
true believers – the Jew first and also the Greek!