characteristics of the love exhibited by Christ and given us in Christ
showing that such love is of divine derivation and is in stark contrast
to that of this world.
AIM: That we
might be given the more to being possessed by the love of Christ to us
and displaying the love of Christ in us.
approach with reverence a passage that is one of the most important
guides and standards for the believing life in that the love of Christ
is defined in operation rather than mere emotion.
1. Volumes have
thus been written on this passage it is fittingly so – Christ is thereby
seen in His people.
2. For this reason it is worthy of close study
and grace for compliance should be an object of our prayers beginning
with the ability to love Him more and to love others as He did.
is interesting that the KJV translators chose the world “charity” to
translate the word elsewhere rendered as “love” – perhaps it was that
the perception of that particular aspect of love was being emphasized.
THESIS: In any event, this precious
fruit of the Spirit finds it greatest demonstration in the Gospel and
Christ therein as He declared of Himself that “greater love hath no man
than this that he lay down his life for his friends.” This He raised to
an infinite level of definition and expression.
I. The absence of
love (vv. 1-3)
1. I have no meaning (v. 1)
1) The effect of great
oratorical ability on many as is witnessed by the charlatans of our day.
2) The emphasis placed on this by the Greeks and Romans in the day and
yet Paul saw this as surpassing them all and he himself did so with this
3) Consider the example of Herod (“it is the voice of a
god…”) who was eaten of worms.
4) One may preach the greatest of
messages and present great biblical truths to no avail without love.
5) I am a meaningless bunch of noise that is offensive to God and men!
2. I am of no value (v. 2)
1) Consider the gifts one might have –
prophecies, understanding of mysteries,
2) And all knowledge
And faith to accomplish great things in the sight of men (is it possible
to have faith and not love?)
4) While all these things may seem great
to the unregenerate, in the sight of God and in the matter of any
benefit to mankind – “I am nothing”
3. I am have no profit (v. 3)
1) We are all aware of and have participated in many humanitarian
efforts involving many people and perhaps all have in some way
participated in such things and such efforts are admirable and
2) Perhaps personal sacrifice is involved – consider
that suicide bombers of our day as a horrible example of these things,
3) But even sacrifice made with no more than human love as a reason
misses the point that is there in the example of Christ Jesus Our Lord.
II. What this love is
1. “True love reveals itself in loving the
unlovable, for this is what God does. He shows us his love in the death
of His Son while we were still in sin (Rom. 5:8). God comes to us first
in love before we come to Him in repentance and faith. Herein is love,
not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the
propitiation for our sins. 1 John 4:10.
2. In that it is said that
God is love (in the sense of His every presentation to us so expresses
love) we might well substitute Christ for every mention of the word Love
in this sense.
III. What true love does (vv. 4-7)
1. Patient –
with regard to offenses and injuries received by others
2. Kind –
Kindness as expressed as fruit of the Spirit
3. Not Jealous – so
desiring the good of others rather than resenting them or their success.
4. It is neither boastful nor arrogant – something often seen among
professors of religion who think themselves to have obtained by their
5. Behave indecently – love rather exhibits proper decorum
6. Does not seek its own things: Look not every man on his own things,
but every man also on the things of others. Philippians 2:4
not become angry as a matter of personal pride – righteous anger is
8. Thinketh no evil – Loves doesn’t keep records of
9. Does not rejoice in evil but rather rejoices on the truth
10. Love bears (or covers all things)
11. Love believes
all things in the hope given us in the Word of God and revealed in
Christ – has true faith and
12. Proceeds to the third of Love, faith
and hope rested in Christ and
13. Love perseveres until the end – joy